Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Technology Final Project

Last week I began working on my Final Project for Technology. I decided to get started early because this project will be somewhat of a long process with the kids. My final project consist of creating a story with some students. After speaking with my cooperating teacher, we decided that working with the same five students every time will be more productive because the students will hopefully remember what was previously created. The small group of students will brainstorm a storyline and I will record their thoughts. I will also be responsible for editing the story. The students will illustrate pictures that tell the story on white sheets of paper. I will then scan the pictures and compile them into a slideshow or podcast. The final part of this project will be recording the students reading parts of the story and then adding the narration to the podcast.

After my cooperating teacher selected five students for this project, I took the group into the hall and explained the project. I knew the kids would be excited to write their own story, but I had no idea it was going to be so hard to keep them focused! I think I may have given them a little too much freedom because the story they came up with was very creative! I wanted the story to have educational freedom so I tried to shift the focus of the story to mathematics while still keeping most of their ideas. They gladly shifted the story and came up with math problems like 8+8=16. I was so impressed. These are kindergartners and they picked a difficult math problem! Some students did not even have to count on their fingers because they already knew the answer! So far we decided to use their school mascot as the superhero and the superhero's superpower is solving math problems! I am very excited about this project so hopefully it will work out! I'll keep everyone posted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica,

What a great project! And it sounds as if the kids are definitely rising to the occasion. I look forward to hearing your progress and seeing the final project. I hope you can post it here?

Best,
Lani

Monica said...

Thanks! I will definitely try to post it on my blog, but I am a bit slow with this technology stuff!