Monday, March 19, 2007

Kagan Style Spring Break

My Spring Break was not exactly in the Bahamas, but it was near the beach...only I actually never made it to the beach. I went home to Virginia Beach and observed various grade levels in the mornings and then worked during the evenings. Yes I know what you're thinking...you're jealous of my fabulous Spring Break. Although I dreaded the early mornings at the time, it paid off in the end because I found a teaching style that I fell in love with.

I observed several teachers, most with unique teaching styles, but I was extremely impressed with a young energetic first grade teacher. She allowed me to observe and participate in her class and I could not help but be amazed by the cute songs she used to keep the students focused and attentive. Many of the songs and catch phrases she used reinforced the idea of giving positive support to fellow peers. She later informed me that this style was from Kagan's Cooperative Learning Theory. She told me that if I want to teach in the Virginia Beach area I absolutely need to get this training because teachers that use the Kagan style are highly sought after in the beach area.

The teacher I observed let me look through the book and binder she received during the training workshop she attended. The book explained why cooperative learning was the better way to teach children. It answered questions, such as, "If the work world is so competitive, why would cooperative learning benefit students?" The response was that statistically most people get fired because they cannot get along with co-workers rather than a lack of skills. The book was also filled with games that can be used in the classroom or outside. As I mentioned before, there were many songs and catch phrases such as, "You rock!" The students would ball one of their hands in a fist and put it in the air. Another way to give praise that I absolutely loved was "Hip Hip Hooray!" The kids would put their left hand on their left hip while saying "hip," then repeat that on the other side and when saying "hooray," the students would wiggle in their seats. Both of these little catch phrases with movement were used after a student performed well in class. Dr. Spencer and Laurie Kagan head training workshops that are offered through out the year or during the summer and I encourage everyone to check out their website at: http://www.kaganonline.com/index.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,

What a valuable spring break you had! Kagan's "Cooperative Learning" has long been one of my favorites! And it's been my experience that cooperative, collaborative learning is powerful indeed--

I'm wondering what kind of impact this style of learning might have on student achievement in later years? Do you have any thoughts?

Best,
Lani

Angel said...

Monica,
Your spring break sounded quite similar to mine. However, I am jealous that you were able to observe such an awesome teacher. It seems the kids were really into her routine. It's always great to engage students with songs and activities. As a result, they have so much fun and are eager to learn. Thanks for sharing, I will definitely research the Kagan theory. I've never heard of a district searching for teacher's who were trained to implement a particular teaching style. However, doing so doesn't sound like it'd be a burden, but a wonderful opportunity. Thanks again.