Thursday, April 26, 2007

Lesson incorporating technology

My cooperating teacher and I decided that I should teach my lesson to a smaller group because the lesson did not fit with what they were learning now. I took my group of six students into the hallway and we sat in a circle. First, I asked them how their days were going and if they were excited for the weekend. While they were telling me about their days, I passed out the materials and asked the students not to touch the materials until I gave them permission. I handed out the calculators and gave them one minute to play with them. I then asked the students to clear their calculators and place their calculators flat on their slate boards. I then proceeded with the lesson by showing and telling the students to press the following buttons: [1] [+] [1] [=] [+] [1] [=], etc. I practiced this with the students about 5 times because many students were struggling. I gave the students one minute to do the button sequence in the calculator and then asked the students to put their calculator down and write the number on their slate board. We then discussed who has the smallest number and I asked that student to line up with their board. The student with the next smallest number lined up after the first student and so forth until all of the students were in numerical order. I then introduced the phrase “slash the trash.” This phrase was used to take away the two outer numbers until a median is determined. The students were entertained with this phrase. I introduced the term “median” and explained that it meant the same as the middle number. After we found the median, we repeated the lesson two more times.

In the future I could have explained the button process better because the students were very confused. Using an overhead projector with a calculator for the overhead would have helped tremendously. It was difficult for me to show the students what to press on the calculator when I was just holding it in my hand. I also felt like the lesson would have been just as successful with more students. More students would have been more challenging for the students.

Like every interaction with my students, this lesson helped me further to think on my feet. I further learned to ask guiding questions. Also, I saw the effects of being a supportive teacher. When one student was sitting properly and waiting for instructions I offered praise and the other students imitated that student.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

You've discovered the effective strategy of "third person" cuing. It really does work doesn't it? Don't you love it when students who are appropriate get the attention? And the catch phrase "slash the trash" is definitely one they'll remember!

Your reflection upon your lesson addresses what you saw as an area for improvement--directions for using the calculator. Displaying the sequence with a projector is a good strategy, especially for visual learners. Do you think it might have worked to have it on paper?

I sense a feeling of increasing confidence on your part with good reason. Am I right? How are you feeling about your teaching and your chosen profession at this point?

Best,
Lani

Unknown said...

Be sure and respond to Lani here in your blog. It is part of having a conversation here online that others who are interested can join in or read and learn with you.

I am thrilled your lesson went so well.

Monica said...

Lani,
I used a slate board to show them how to "slash the trash," but a projector would have been much better because it was difficult to maneuver the slate board and teach. I am feeling a lot more confident about teaching! Thanks for the support!
-Monica