Monday, May 7, 2007

As many of us noticed this past Wednesday, we were sad to leave some of our classes!!! Sad to leave an educational environment!!! When does that ever happen??? I have never been sad to leave class...ever!

We have all been in classes with hundreds of people where the professor lectures for the whole class period. We have been in classes with many people that we have never spoken to because we never had the opportunity, but the education program has been quite the opposite. Our classes are very small and we have the same people in most of our classes. This has helped to create a trusting network and we are able to help each other out when we need it. I have never been more engaged in my classes or more enthusiastic about the material until this semester.

From my professors and classmates, I have learned the most valuable lesson of all. This lesson cannot be found in a textbook, or an Internet site, or from a research article…it was found in the network I luckily fell into. I am certain that not many students can say that they have had as close of a network as the Undergraduate Elementary Education class of 2008. I am so blessed to have my classmates cheer me on when I am teaching a lesson, to have professors say, “You are intelligent and I believe you will change someone’s life for the better,” and to have my peers as well as professors encourage my creativity and help me flourish as an educator. If I have gained anything at all from this semester, it is a tremendous gain in confidence that comes from people truly believing in you. I look forward to having this network in the future as a constant stream of support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is absolutely wonderful to read of your enthusiasm for how and what you have been learning! I hope that you will continue to blog as you travel a path to accomplished teaching!

Best,
Lani

Anne Davis said...

Hi Monica,

Now on a previous reply to one of my comments you said you were going to make a strong effort to keep up blogging. I sure hope you will do just that! Your voice needs to be heard!

I love this post. I do have to tell you that if you are sad to leave this class just wait till you enter the classroom. I am so sad that I will be parting from the student bloggers I am currently working with. My husband tells me that I say this every year. I have. Every class, grade, group I have ever taught. But like you said you learn and grow with each experience and that is what it is all about!

I am sure you will make a difference!

Best,
Anne